The Data Coalition (www.datacoalition.org) is America’s premier voice on data policy. The Data Coalition is a Washington, DC-based non-profit organization that promotes public policies for enabling effective, responsible, and transparent use of government data. These policies have benefits for public accountability and transparency, public administration, government oversight, and private sector efficiency.
The Data Coalition represents technology, data analytics, and management companies working to responsibly use data to improve society. Through advocacy, public programs, and member engagement, we pursue meaningful and lasting federal data policy reforms that make data more accessible, high-quality, and useful.
We are currently seeking a full-time policy manager or policy director (dependent on qualifications and experience) to support the organization’s advocacy, lobbying and government affairs operation. Candidates must be familiar with processes, systems, and structures of both executive branch agencies and congressional committees and offices.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the policy functions of the Data Coalition with associated research, facilitation of key relationships, monitoring of priority issues, and drafting of public statements, background memos, and other policy documents.
- Plan and coordinate Data Coalition activities and meetings on Capitol Hill.
- Support development and implementation of the Data Coalition’s policy agenda.
- Develop relevant policy briefs, blog posts, and fact sheets that address timely issues of relevance to the Data Coalition’s membership.
- Support policy roundtables with organization members and coordinate substantive policy dialogues between members and appropriate government officials.
- Coordinate Data Coalition task forces and working groups.
- Conduct policy research related to open data, statistical policy, evaluation policy, data access, data transparency, or other policies associated with the organization’s mission.
- Contribute to the development and execution of major Data Coalition events.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants must have a graduate degree in a relevant field. Relevant work experience may be considered as a substitute to a graduate degree.
Candidates should also have demonstrated knowledge of and interest in effective government, data management, data analytics, or related issues as well as demonstrated knowledge of and interest in policymaking in Congress or executive branch agencies, including the regulatory process with experience monitoring policymaking activities.
Applicants must possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. They should be able to prioritize workload, conduct independent analysis to develop and propose reasoned findings and recommendations, and be familiar with how to draft legislative text or present legislative proposals. Applicants must also have an ability to multi-task on numerous projects, in both collaborative and independent situations
Applicants should be located in the Washington, DC region. Registration as a lobbyist in compliance with House and Senate rules will be required upon hiring.
The Data Coalition offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and education. Individuals interested in this position should email a (1) cover letter explaining your interest in the position, (2) resume, (3) example policy memo, (4) single-authored blog article, and (5) contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of the email.
Applications must be received by December 13, 2019.